It’s ant season and many of us in Northern Nevada are fighting to keep our properties free from being infested by ant colonies. The first step in battling these pests is identifying which species they are. The experienced staff of professionals at Grush Inspections have the knowledge to provide homeowners and property managers with an expert pest inspection to identify Wood-Destroying ants including Carpenter ants. Our Northern Nevada inspection company specializes in recognizing these pests, especially the most common ant species that can destroy properties in the Reno- Sparks and Truckee Meadows region.
What Ant Species Cause the Most Damage to Homes and Other Real Estate Properties?
There are several species of ants local to Northern Nevada. Some are native to the area, while others are invasive species. While many would like to opt for tackling these pests without first consulting an inspection company, some may find that the pesticides or other products at the store may not solve their ant infestation. While it is certainly possible to identify which ant species has invaded a home without consulting a professional inspection company, misidentification of a given species may delay removal of the pests. Delaying the removal of an ant infestation can potentially cost more money and cause more damage to a structure.
Carpenter ants are the biggest threat to structures throughout the Northern Nevada region. This species will burrow into wood structures, including homes and businesses, to begin nesting. The cost of a Carpenter ant infestation can range, but addressing the problem sooner rather than later will ultimately save a headache, preserve the structural integrity of homes and businesses and save tons of money.
Some Things to Consider About Unwanted Ant Infestations:
- Ants in northern Nevada are generally shallow burrowers with most nests above the six foot mark in the ground.
- Ant colonies often have main colonies and sub-colonies.
- Most ant species in northern Nevada are nuisances, but fail to pose safety or financial risks. Exceptions are the Southern Fire Ant which has an unpleasant sting and the Carpenter Ant which can destroy the structural integrity of a home.
- Ants use their jaws for almost everything except eating. For example, they use their jaws to build, fight, and carry food.
- Ants range in size from less than one millimeter to nearly two inches.
- Many ant species will eat plants, animals, and everything in between.
- One tenth of the colony will generally be dispatched to find food.
- Once ants find food, they use trail pheromones to identify the path between the colony and the food source. This is one reason why it’s so difficult to combat ants in the home.
- Ants are unable to swallow whole food, so the adults feed whole food to the larvae. The larvae must digest and then throw up the food in order for the adults to eat it.
Grush Inspections is focused mainly on the wood destroying organisms listed above such as carpenter ants. Additional pests harmful to wood structures include: termites, wood boring beetles and wood destroying fungus.
Choosing Grush Inspections ensures the highest quality and most expedient property inspection service available in Northern Nevada. We will ensure that all of needs are met and any pest problem is identified, guaranteed.
Grush Inspections doesn’t just do pest inspections. We are also the go-to inspection service for residential, commercial, heating and air, fireplace, and sewer line. We also offer wood and pellet stove certifications.
To learn more about how Grush Inspections can help identify pests or any other home inspection need in the Reno-Sparks area, contact us online or give us a call at (775) 323-1117